fbpx
Skip to content

Rice cultivation and automation

By | Published |

Rice is a seed from a plant called Oryza sativa (in Asia) or Oryza glaberrima (in Africa). As a cereal grain, domesticated rice is the most widely consumed staple food for over half of the world’s human population. According to FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization), over 90 percent of the world’s rice is produced and consumed in the Asia-Pacific Region; the other 10 % is an important part of the world’s diet. 

Bringing rice to our dishes is the result of a huge process that begins in the seed, of course. Depending on the type of rice, they have to decide where it is going to be planted: low land or paddy rice, floating and deep water, or highland. Whichever of these techniques be, getting the soil prepared is very important. Rice is an especial seed; it’s semi aquatic and also desired by insects, so it must have a treatment. 

So first of all, you have to suffice the seed with insecticide and fungicide. For this you need a seed treatment machine. After this is done the seed is exported to the place where it’s going to be sown. Now comes the next important step: have a prepared soil. Land preparation for rice farming involves plowing and harrowing to ’till’ or dig-up, mix and level the soil. Tillage is needed for controlling weeds, giving the seed the right depth in the soil, and also helps to level the surface to reduce the amount of water.

Then you can choose to sown again or transplant. Transplanting is the most popular rice planting method across Asia. The plants are grown in a seedbed and then moved to a main wet fiel. Transplanting requires more labor, it’s a more complex process, but requires less seeds and is effective for controlling weeds. Technology can be applied in this process to automate the tasks and save money and time. Also it can help to increase the sales and make a fresher and high quality product. Machines have been used for a long time in this area, but there are things and processes that can be improved by using tools on a smaller scale, but with big results, like automation. For this it’s needed a solid network and constant communication with all the people involved in the production. Apps like Eskuad would help.

Rice has been and is one of the most consumed foods in the world. Has fed communities of every era and place and it keeps doing it. New technologies helped the production and distribution of it, and is an example of not replacing humans and not letting machines do all the work, but help to make it faster, better and tastier.

Sources:

http://www.fao.org/3/x6905e/x6905e04.htm

https://www.roysfarm.com/rice-farming/#Preparing_the_Soil

https://dva.com.co/la-importancia-del-tratamiento-de-semilla-en-el-cultivo-de-arroz/

We simplify management of teams that perform tasks and operate in the field, we collect data where it is generated in order to transform it into information that allows decision making on time.

Do you want to know more?